Thursday, December 2, 2010

Benefits of Scholarship Pageants: Brooke Kilgarriff's Personal Testimonial

I asked my friend, Brooke, to post her own personal testimonial of how she got started competing and why she would like to convince other young ladies to compete in scholarship pageants.  Here is what she had to say...
"Ever since I was a young girl I admired the Miss America Pageant from afar. Only dreaming one day I would be able to put on a dress, and win a crown. At a young age I was unaware of the benefits the Miss America Organization offered, it was actually not until I became a titleholder where I realized the true advantages of the MAO.

Before entering my first local I was a volunteer at Gillette Children's Hospital during my summer and winter breaks from school. While running for Miss Twin Cities I was informed I had to raise money for Children's Miracle Network. It was this time I realized Gillette Children's was a Children's Miracle Network hospital. My relationship between CMN and Gillette continue to grow as local titleholder, and once I became Miss Minnesota I made it a priority during my reign. One of the most valuable lessons I learned from the Miss America Organization is the importance of giving back to others. The children I met through CMN and Gillette touched my life every moment I spent with them, and I am blessed that I still have the opportunity to volunteer with this incredible organization.

The Miss America Organization is about rewarding women who are excelling in their academics, community, and with their talents. Each woman enters the system for a different reason, but stay apart of the program for the same reason. Miss America gives women the opportunity to promote their talents, make a difference in their community, and receive scholarship money to continue their education. It was through MAO where I received opportunities such as performing at the Minnesota Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves games. I was able to travel to every corner of the state and meet many new people. I recorded a CD to raise money for Children's Miracle Network and Gillette Children's Hospital, giving over $14,000 to these organizations. I also performed on the Miss America stage for over 7,000 people and represented this great state.

Even though I no longer where the crown for Miss Minnesota, I can see the life long benefits it had proved me. This title has propelled me into a successful career as a performer. I met my best friend at the Miss America pageant, and 52 incredible women from all over the country. My goal as Miss Minnesota was to leave a legacy for this organization and I know all the work I did with Children's Miracle Network and Gillette Children's is what I want to be remembered for. Being a titleholder is about service and what you can do to better the lives of others.

Many future contestants have contacted me about competing in this organization, and I always tell them it is going to be one of the best decisions you ever make. Just remember, this is something you must work for, and the effort you put in will mirror the result you will get in return. Create your own legacy."
-Brooke Kilgarriff 
My first time meeting Miss Minnesota 2009, Brooke Kilgarriff
Brooke is someone I will always look up to.  I am so happy to have met her and so glad to call her my friend.  Thank you Brooke, for posting so we can help share the great benefits of scholarship pageants!
Always,
Tiffany Schulstad-Peterson
Miss Moorhead 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment