Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Salvation Army: Doing the Most Good

Yesterday I stood for two hours at the Moorhead Cash Wise Foods grocery store ringing the bell for the Salvation Army.  I think I collected $30 in the two hours I was standing there.  If you take $30 x 10 hours a day = $300.  Then take $300 x 37 days the event occurs = $11,100.  This is just an estimated amount for Cash Wise in Moorhead.  There are many locations in many cities around the world all collecting money for the Salvation Army.  Just imagine how much money will be collected!

While I stood there, I tried to keep warm.  Even though I was inside, the door constantly opened for customers so by the end of my shift, my feet were almost frozen off.  Now I know I need to wear an extra pair of socks next Monday when I ring the bell again. 

I was there to collect money for someone else, and yet, a few people gave to me in return.  One lady bought me a candy bar, another gave me a hug, and one gentleman asked me to be a guest speaker at his organization's meeting.  I am so lucky to be surrounded by so many caring people in my community.  I hope reading this post has inspired you to help the less fortunate in your community during the holidays.  Volunteer at a soup kitchen, ring the bell for the Salvation Army, donate to your favorite charity, or go caroling in your neighborhood.  Any small gesture of giving could impact another person in a huge way.


Always,
Tiffany Schulstad-Peterson
Miss Moorhead 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment