Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Habitat for Humanity: Barnesville, Day 2

Today was the second day I worked on the Habitat for Humanity house being built in Barnesville, MN. It was only day four of the Blitz build and when we started the day, the windows and doors were in place, almost all the shingles were nailed on the roof, and now it was time to start nailing on the siding to the house. 

I was very excited that all the shingling was not complete because surprising enough, that is by far my favorite thing to do when working on a house.  After shingling I was given the caulking gun to fill in all the little holes on the roof to be sure it wouldn't leak during a thunderstorm or blizzard.  While a few of us were shingling, the rest of the group started nailing on the siding.  After lunch, everyone was working on the siding for the house.  By the end of the day we had one whole side of the house done and half of two other sides of the house.  The siding does not need to be complete until Friday so I have a feeling they will be done by Thursday or very early Friday.

Getting instructions before we begin

Nailing in shingles.

Don't fall!

Cutting sheathing...Are you surprised they trusted me with a power tool?

Crew at the beginning of the day

Crew at the end of the day...sweaty, sore, and bruised

Crew leaders...they found out I was Miss Moorhead and I never heard the end of it.

I will not be working anymore this week since Miss Minnesota check-in is just around the corner. I need to start packing and finish all my homework for my summer class.  After Miss Minnesota, Lake Agassiz Habitat for Humanity will begin working on the house in West Fargo which is a Women's Build.  I have already started gathering a team of women that are going to help me work on this house!

Always,
Tiffany Schulstad-Peterson
Miss Moorhead, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment